Monday, December 5, 2011

The most wonderful time of the year...I think

This time of the year is bittersweet for me. Christmastime is absolutely my favorite time of the year. I decorate the day after Thanksgiving, and listen to Christmas music non-stop. Yes, I'm one of those people.




However, this will be the second Christmas with only Piper and I. (Third, if you count the one where Dusty wasn't home on Christmas Eve because he was with his girlfriend, but told me he was getting batteries for Piper's toys, so I had to put together all of her toys alone. And then was only with us for a couple of hours on Christmas morning, but he suddenly needed "time to his self." But, I digress.)

As elated and blessed I am to be able to provide a Christmas for my child, and be present for it, there are times that I am saddened because I have no one to share such a happy occasion with. And, I know that next year she will be with her dad on Christmas morning, so I will be all alone then. I know I should focus on the joy of the present, but sometime misery likes to sneak in and steal my happiness.

Single motherhood is straining on the bank account. Thankfully, I am able to find the funds for Christmas gifts for Piper this year, but I don't know what the future holds. There may be years when I can't afford an extravagant holiday for her, so I am striving now, while she's young, to instill traditions, and the meaning of the season with her.

I want to buy the book, The Elf on the Shelf, it looks like such a fun tradition. I want to take her to look at the Christmas lights, I want to bake with her, let her talk to Santa, read Christmas books, watch Christmas movies, drink hot chocolate, teach her about giving, and read the most important Christmas story, the birth of Jesus Christ....And I pray as she gets older, she will not focus on material gifts, but truly know what wonderful time of a year it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment