Monday, March 26, 2012

Me, Myself and I

March is a bittersweet month for me. My birthday and my daughter's birthday falls in the third month, but it also my would-be wedding anniversary and ironically, my divorcerary (totally made that word up, but I think it is going to catch on.) All of these milestones inevitably bring on self-reflection, self-pity and self-confidence each year.

My ex missed his daughter's birthday this year, because he and his girlfriend went on vacation or something. He called her the morning of her birthday, so it's not like he totally forgot, but he did give up time with her on that day to do other things. A friend of mine asked me, "doesn't it make you mad, that he goes on vacation with her, but never did with you?" And I confidently said "No, not really." Two years ago - most definitely, one year ago - probably, but this year - no way!


It's moments like these that allow me to see how much I've grown. My confidence and my self-worth are growing on a daily basis, and that is an awesome feeling. I like how my friend describes one's life as a cake, and one's partner is just icing on the cake, and it is so true. More and more, I am discovering what I enjoy (reading), what I am good at (yoga), and what makes me smile (shopping). I am defining myself and learning my self-worth, I have two closets all to myself and I can be as OCD and Type-A as I want to be.


But no doubt, my cake probably needs to bake a little longer and then cool, because you know when you put icing on a cake too soon, and it gets all melty and not pretty...I don't want that.

1 comment:

  1. When your cake is fully cooked, it will be perfection! It will need beyond superior icing. Love you, mean tit!

    ReplyDelete