Friday, March 16, 2012

My week off

I decided to utilize some vacation days for mine and Piper's birthdays. For the past three years, I have considered Piper's birthday a national holiday and skipped work to enjoy the day with her. This year, her birthday was on a Sunday. My birthday was a week before. So, I thought, why not take the whole week off? I haven't had that much time off since maternity leave, and let's be honest, who considers that a "vacation?"

I didn't have any big trips planned, nothing spectacular, just some time off to sleep late, catch up on my DVR, finish The Hunger Games, oh, and prepare for Piper's birthday festivities.

Saturday - March 3 marked my 29th birthday. I had a great day! I went shopping with one of my favorite people, and then finished the day surrounded by friends (and Vegas Bombs) at a local bar. I had a great time! Honestly, it was the best birthday in a decade. True story.

Sunday - HUNGOVER

Monday - Wednesday - Uneventful. I cleaned my house (for those who know me, know this is relaxation to me), went shopping (again) and spent some quality time with Piper.

Thursday - Mommy and Piper's Day-of-Fun. I took her to the Children's Museum of Houston and she LOVED it! I would ask her if she was ready to leave, and she said, "No, I want to stay here." After the museum, we went to the Rain Forest Cafe in the Galleria, with the intention of going to Build-A-Bear after our tummies were full. Once I realized that Build A Bear was on the complete opposite side of the Galleria, and Piper said "Can we go home now," we went home. I wasn't going to push my luck, Piper was such a trooper all day and behaved so well, and I knew a melt-down would happen if I dragged her all over the Galleria.


Friday - When I moved into my house a year ago, I ripped up the carpet in the garage-turned-room, and we (and by "we," I mean my dad, while Piper and I watched) finally laid the floor down on Friday. I went with "resilient flooring" that looks like cork. My dad did a great job, and I am so pleased with it. Pictures soon - I promise!

Saturday - Piper's birthday party. I wanted to have just a small gathering for her birthday. The weather was unpleasant, I was stressed, but the kids still had fun. Piper slept for 13 hours that night.

Sunday - Sunday was Piper's actual birthday. I had this whole day planned for her. My parents and I were going to take her to lunch and Build-A-Bear. And then I was reminded why I don't like to plan. First, as we were about to leave, my brother called my dad and said he was running fever, etc. and needed someone to drive him to Urgent Care. Being the saint that my dad is, he took him, and I am glad that our day was delayed...

While mom, Piper and I were waiting at my house for my dad to return, the sewer backed up in my bathroom. Let me rewind for a sec, mother nature was making up for the drought she gave us over the summer and sent down about a bajillion inches of rain on Sunday. This meant that the city's lift stations were full or something...all I know is that it was gross.

I cleaned up the mess not once, but twice. I used a shop vac and bleach, all the while thinking how tough and awesome I am for doing such dirty work all by myself. And then on the third time, the toilet overflowed and dirty water was standing on my bathroom floor and flowed into the hallway onto my 60-year-old original hardwood floors. At first, denial set in and I just stared at the mess in utter disbelief. Then, I did what I always do in unpleasant situations - I yelled, cried, threw some things and then called St. Dad.

St. Dad calmly cleaned up the mess, had me call the city to report the problem, and lovingly told me there was no point in me being there because there was nothing I could do. In other words, he could see me on the edge of a mental breakdown and was preventing me from having a stroke. After a few deep breaths, I decided this was my daughter's 4th birthday, and I won't get this day back. So, I took lessons from the two Yoga classes I've taken and left my "shitty" situation (pun intended) for a while and celebrated Piper's birthday.

As a parent and a daughter, I admire my dad so much. I think about how in one day, he helped my brother when he was sick and then immediately helped me and my disgusting situation, without complaint. When Piper and I got home from dinner, my bathroom was spotless and sanitized, and I was beyond thankful for wonderful parents, an amazing child and a beautiful life.

1 comment:

  1. you are superwoman! and we had a blast at piper's party! thank you for having us over! (and your floors look fantastic)

    ReplyDelete