Piper and I braved the torrential rain yesterday to have lunch together. Thankfully, Chick-fil-A has an indoor playground. I sat and watched her play, and there were some boys that were being mean to her. One called her a "cry baby." It burned me up. What was worse was I saw where these boys' parents were sitting, and they did nothing to stop it. It was a group of obvious wealthy stay-at-home moms, as evident by the blindingly large diamonds on their fingers, and their conversations about new curtains, game rooms, etc. I finally went and sat in the play area to prevent any more confrontation (Piper may have stomped on one of the boy's foot at one point, but was self-defense in my book).
This same group of women were talking about how tired they are at the end of the day. I know I don't know all of their stories, but I wanted to scream. As I mentioned, they were obviously married, and safe to assume that they had help. I wanted to tell them, "Try doing it all alone. The cooking, the cleaning, the rearing, paying the bills - in addition to having a full-time job. Alone. No help financially, physically or emotionally. The health, safety and well-being of my child lies with me. There are some nights that I just want to sit down. That's all - sit. For five minutes. And breath."
By the end of the day, I am beyond tired. On the rare occasion that I don't fall asleep at the same time as my daughter, I usually cry myself to sleep. Partly due to pure exhaustion, but mostly because when it is quiet, I am left with my thoughts. Thoughts of being alone. Not only am I hard to live with, due to me being very type-A, and wanting things a certain way, but I also have a child - another man's child - who (my child) takes priority over everyone and everything. So, if a man can get past my independence and self-sufficiency, he must also be strong enough to carry my baggage - all 35 pounds of it. And honestly, I think that would be borderline saint-hood.
There are some days that I just want a hug and someone to tell me, "you're doing a good job," or "it's going to be OK." Sometimes, I just need validation that I'm not screwing everything up. And sometimes, I just need a good night's sleep.
You're doing a good job and it's going to be okay. You are perfectly, wonderfully you, and some very discerning man is going to realize that and snatch you up -- along with the most awesome kind of 35 pound "baggage." (Side note? I think Noah weighed over 35 pounds at his 2 year appointment. Big kid.)
ReplyDeleteDana is so right. Someone is going to come along and it will be better than you ever thought it would be. You do have the most awesome kind of baggage and any man would be lucky to step into your lives :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Dana and Laura. You are an amazingly strong, smart, and beautiful woman. Working in the field I work in,you know, I see a lot of bad mothers to put it lightly. You are doing an amazing job raising your little one and not to mention what a great role model to have in a momma. :) I am sure the Lord has a very special man for you that will sweep you off of your feet. I have learned and have seen this saying before, Faith in God includes Faith in His Timing.
ReplyDelete