There was a note on Piper's backpack the other day when I picked her up from school requesting that I provide her teacher with a family picture for a project they are working on. My knee-jerk reaction was that of sadness, because it would just be a picture of me and Piper because our family no longer exists. But, then I found a great picture of me and my cutie at the beach, smiling and having a great time. Families come in all forms, and my family consists of me and my beautiful daughter, and it's a wonderful thing.
More times than I would like to admit, I get sad, feel sorry for myself, have a pity-party, cry, or think about all the ways I wish my life were different. But, I have two choices - I can let the sadness consume me and control my life or I can embrace what my life is and make the best of it. Make some lemonade out of all these lemons that have been thrown at me, if you will.
Instead of being sad at dinner because it is just me and Piper and I know my ex-husband, her father, is eating dinner with his new family, I will enjoy every minute of my one-on-one time with my daughter, because she will be grown before I know it. At bedtime, instead of crying into my pillow because no one is beside me, I will sleep in the middle of the bed. On Saturday mornings, I will cook breakfast and watch cartoons with Piper in our pajamas instead of wishing I could stay in bed and sleep the pain of loneliness away. When Piper is with her daddy, I will enjoy time with my friends, maybe go on a date and embrace single-hood instead of watching sad movies while drinking wine alone. Instead of thinking "How could he do this to me?," I will think "What a jerk. It's his loss." And when I want to feel sorry for myself because I am a single mom, I will be proud of myself for being a strong and independent woman and setting a great example for my young daughter.
I choose happiness.
You. Are. My. HERO. Love you, girl!
ReplyDeleteyou're amazing.
ReplyDelete