I watched the movie Up in the Air this week (good movie), and the dreamy George Clooney's character said something that caught my attention. And I am paraphrasing here - 'pictures are for people who don't remember.' His character wasn't a parent.
I get mad at myself for not taking more time to document Piper's milestones. It's hard to find the time between work, child, husband, dinner, dishes, laundry, snotty noses, and that pesky thing called sleep.
I have notes written in my calendar that mark the first time she rolled over and walked and all that fun stuff, but I have not been good about writing her general development. And I have the very best of intentions to finish her baby book before she's 18, as well. Mother of the Year, I know.

Piper turned 22 months on Monday. At 22 months -
You are in size 5 diapers. And we haven't even mentioned the words "potty training" in our house. Mommy's too scared about that teaching experience.
You are wearing size 24-month clothes, and some 18-month pants. And size 5 or 5.5 shoes.
You are talking a lot! You can say "I love you" (my favorite), "mine" (so glad you learned that one), "I got it," "Spongebob," and "Blue." Too cute. I want to combust.
You follow directions very well. And you also give directions very well. We have this game where you grab my hand and lead me to the wall. You count to three, which is more like "tree, tree, trrreeee..." and we run through the house. I started this one evening because you had a lot of energy, but now you want to do it all the time. And I'm OK with that.
You give the best hugs. And say "Mmmmuah" when you give sugars.
You drink out of a "big girl" cup. And hardly spill. And if you do spill, you get a towel and clean it up. Seriously. You are your mother's child.
I cannot get over how smart you are. And I forget how much you know. Maybe it's because in my mind, you are still the newborn I held in the hospital.
You are two months away from being 2, Piper, and time has flown more quickly since you were born than it ever has. I can't wait to see what else you going to learn, discover and say!
I get mad at myself for not taking more time to document Piper's milestones. It's hard to find the time between work, child, husband, dinner, dishes, laundry, snotty noses, and that pesky thing called sleep.
I have notes written in my calendar that mark the first time she rolled over and walked and all that fun stuff, but I have not been good about writing her general development. And I have the very best of intentions to finish her baby book before she's 18, as well. Mother of the Year, I know.
Piper turned 22 months on Monday. At 22 months -
You are in size 5 diapers. And we haven't even mentioned the words "potty training" in our house. Mommy's too scared about that teaching experience.
You are wearing size 24-month clothes, and some 18-month pants. And size 5 or 5.5 shoes.
You are talking a lot! You can say "I love you" (my favorite), "mine" (so glad you learned that one), "I got it," "Spongebob," and "Blue." Too cute. I want to combust.
You follow directions very well. And you also give directions very well. We have this game where you grab my hand and lead me to the wall. You count to three, which is more like "tree, tree, trrreeee..." and we run through the house. I started this one evening because you had a lot of energy, but now you want to do it all the time. And I'm OK with that.
You give the best hugs. And say "Mmmmuah" when you give sugars.
You drink out of a "big girl" cup. And hardly spill. And if you do spill, you get a towel and clean it up. Seriously. You are your mother's child.
I cannot get over how smart you are. And I forget how much you know. Maybe it's because in my mind, you are still the newborn I held in the hospital.
You are two months away from being 2, Piper, and time has flown more quickly since you were born than it ever has. I can't wait to see what else you going to learn, discover and say!
this is one of my favorite blogs you've written! what a good way to remember what she is doing right now. i think back and try to remember what ella was doing at 22 months and while it was only two months ago, it has already changed so much!
ReplyDeleteand i think i quit filling out ella's baby book at 7 months....i marked her first two teeth and that's as far as i got. so, if neither of us have finished it, i'm going to assume that most every other mother out there is just like us :)
here's to being better about writing things down!
I think it's great if you can do this once a month and you can always get your blog printed out into a book and give it to her when she grows up. She is getting so big!
ReplyDeleteAs I was reading this, I glimpsed the future young woman Piper sitting with you and reading your words, hearing your voice speaking directly to her rather than about her, knowing that you see her and value her as her own person right this very minute. Beautiful!
ReplyDelete