Saturday was Jon's memorial service in Angleton, and let me send you to Laurie's blog, who captured the day's events more beautifully than words can ever describe. The support from Angleton, Brazoria County and beyond was amazing.
Dusty and I were honored to be a part of the processional, led by the Brazoria County Calvery, and I was so touched by the support and respect that we received as we drove through Angleton. There were people on corners waving their American flags, I saw a man pulled over with his hat off as we passed, but the most outstanding moment is when we passed the little league football game. The referee stopped the game and all the players had their hands on their hearts as we passed, and there even some on one knee. It brings tears to my eyes everytime I think about it.
Then, in church on Sunday, Drew preached about rejoicing through the storm. How fitting. It was comforting and sad at the same time.
For the past two weeks, I have been reminded of a couple of things. First, that my life on earth is temporary and my real home is in heaven. I have heard this many, many times before, but I am just now truly understanding. Second, there is comfort in our Lord. I don't know why bad things happen or why there is so much suffering in the world, but I know I serve a God who "gives and takes away."
Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal.
Matthew 6:19-20
That sounds beautiful. I just am so happy that everyone came together to pay respect to Jon's life. We're thinking of ya'll.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you and Dusty had the experience of seeing everyone along the procession route. It sounds amazing and hopefully heartening for Dusty. Love you both.
ReplyDelete