"I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?" (Name that movie...)
I can honestly say I am overwhelmed. I wish I were Super-Mom. I wish I had it all together. I wish I had a healthy dinner prepared every day, a perfectly-staged house and well-behaved child. But I don't. I am a single-working mom. We often eat McDonald's, I am always running late and my house is a construction-zone. I live in what I call "survival mode."
I work nine hours a day, plus a total of an hour drive time daily. I pick up Piper from day care, get home, cook and eat dinner, clean up, maybe do a load of laundry, bath time, brush our teeth and then bedtime. Sometimes it is 9 p.m. before I sit down for the first time since getting home from work. And it's catching up with me - emotionally and physically.
Being Type-A, having an unorganized house is torture. I'm exhausted. I clean and pick up, and as soon as I turn around, it's messy again. I have stacks of mail and school work scattered through my house. Unfinished projects in every room. And it drives me bonkers.
I know! 10 Things I Hate About You. Love that movie.
ReplyDeleteI feel like you just wrote a blog post for me. Since our house has been on the market for an incredible 19 months, keeping it clean enough for a total stranger to walk through and actually want to buy it is a nightmare. Most days I think "i really hope no one calls to come see the house today" and then realize that i want someone to come look at my house so that they will buy it and i don't have to share a room with a 16 month old yelling "YO!" at me at 4AM every morning...../end rant.
lol! life is crazy. i'm super impressed that you can get it all done before 9PM. i usually go to bed before it's all done feeling defeated, but realizing that my little alarm clock isn't going to let me sleep late, so i better sleep while i can. the mess will just have to wait...
let's go drink bellini's. and soon.
"I think you can in Europe..."
ReplyDeleteHaha love that movie! I totally identify with what you're saying here and although I don't have any true words of wisdom, I do think that every mom is guilty of seeing the things that don't get done and the meals that don't get cooked instead of focusing on what we're doing right: lovIng our kids and making sure they never ever doubt that. You are an awesome mom!!!
(Now get ready to say all of this back to me in three weeks when I'm going out of my mind with two kids!) :)