Friday, July 9, 2010

Snakebitten

So, I was bitten by a snake. How many people do you know that can say that?



I was leaving a restaurant/bar near the beach one Sunday evening, when I walked through a ditch to get to my car. I felt something poke my foot, hard. It didn't hurt at first. But, after further investigation, we discovered it was a rattlesnake that bit me, and I was quickly rushed to the E.R.

By the time I got to the hospital, the pain was really starting to set in. And it HURT. I was given the anti-venom at our local hospital, but they transferred me to Houston. I spent two nights there, and my leg was swollen to about twice its size. There were doctors and nurses constantly checking the condition of my foot and my blood pressure. I cannot tell you how many times I had to wiggle my toes.



It was quite an experience, but I am very lucky - it could've been so much worse.

As I was immobile in the hospital for those few days, I couldn't help but parallel the snake bite to my divorce. Follow me, if you will -

I didn't see it coming.
When it first happened, I didn't really feel anything.
But once the pain set in, it was almost unbearable.
There is very little I can do about the pain, but let it run its course.
I have to be on crutches until I can stand on my own two feet again.
Some days the pain is worse than others, and nights are usually the worst.
As time passes, I will get better, but it is an experience I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I am so glad you are ok Tricia! I am glad someone was there to get you to the hospital. What an ordeal! Thank God you are alright...

    ReplyDelete