Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fight or Flight?

When confronted with stress, what do you do? Fight or flight? I am a flighter. Always have been. When a situation gets to tough, I take the easy way out. I quit dance when I was 6 because I got bored. In high school, I quit tennis because I didn't like all the time it took after school. By the time I got to college, I didn't join any clubs, sororities or anything else because I was afraid I would quit. Heck, even when I was in labor with Piper, I quit dilating at 6 cm. I think I was so afraid of the whole birthing process that my body sensed it and gave up.

If I have a problem with someone or something, I avoid it. Very rarely do I confront things that are uncomfortable to me. And when I do, I get the cold sweats and my ears turn bright red because my blood pressure is rising to stroke-level numbers. My few but loyal followers probably know this about me just as well as I do. And, I have this very strange defense mechanism. If am worried about something or I don't want to face a problem, I'll start thinking about all sorts of other things. I'll balance my checkbook or decide what I am going to wear for the week. I'll start planning Piper's birthday party that's months away. I'll get obsessed over things I usually don't just to avoid what I need to face head-on.


But, recently I have been faced with a problem that I am fighting for. The Lord has instilled in me a frame of mind I have never had and has also given me strength I didn't know I was capable of. I am holding on with both hands, and I sometimes slip or I lose my grip, but I am hanging on.

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally a fighter unless it's too overwhelming and I'm outta there! Keep hanging on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for God to keep growing your fighting muscles and resolve. Let me know if you know someone (ahem) seasoned to talk to. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "let me know if you NEED someone..."

    ReplyDelete